2014 was an exciting year in the PGA (Don’t worry we caught the highlights if you missed anything). Now that it’s 2015, we’re looking into the future with our crystal balls, and here’s what we predict we’ll see this year.
- The luck o’ the Irish will be in Rory’s favor. Look for McIlroy rounding Amen Corner under par. After securing his first green jacket, he’ll keep on par to maintain his position as the number one money leader.
- Phil Mickelson, shaking off a shaky 2014, will reinvent himself this year through embracing alternative fashion. Look for him in skinny pants (no jeans—after all, we’re still talking about golf here) and an increasing number of visible tattoos. Will it bring Mickelson the U.S. Open Win he needs for a career Grand Slam?
- Last year might not have been the best for rookies, but get ready for the 2015 crop to come out swinging. We expect to see some great rounds from many of the newcomers, but our pick for Rookie of the Year is Justin Thomas. He’s had an impressive career so far, so don’t be surprised if he gives some of the more seasoned pros a run for their money.
- To attract new people to the sport, a smattering of golf courses will begin adding putt-putt-style obstacles to their holes to vary up the monotony of roughs and water. Look for large windmills, loop-the-loops, holey castles that send your ball into different areas of the green, and hippos with wide open mouths on putting greens near you.
- The most anticipated golf course opening of 2015 is Cabot Cliffs, a sequel to Cabot Links, in Nova Scotia. Set to open mid-summer, its par-3 16th hole, featuring a shot over the ocean, will soon become one of the most famous in North America. We predict a fan-frenzy, as golfers from around the world try to fit in a round before the greens are buried under a nice layer of snow thanks to the Canadian winter.
- Yoga will become the next craze, with a growing number of pros warming up through sun salutations at dawn and whispering “Namaste” after completing each hole, hands to heart center. The craze will set off an uptick in elite clubs throughout the United States offering yoga classes on the driving ranges prior to the start of play each morning, and a few smart coaches will make a mint selling how-to videos with yoga poses to improve your swing.
- You won’t be disappointed when you see the selection of loud-and-proud, make-you-miss-your-shot pants that John Daly will be wearing. Our crystals are a bit more subtle, but still eye-catching, if that’s your thing.
- Speaking of pants, Chris Wood will be packing at least one extra pair per tournament, to avoid another 4-pair round. Though a split may be worth it to repeat the bogey-free, 5-under-par round we saw at the 96th PGA Championship.
These are just a few predictions for the exciting 2015 season. If you’d like predictions about your game, we have crystal balls available to help you have your best season, yet.